[SLED] not powerpoint again, was Re: teaching and learning in second life...my aha moment

Patricia F Anderson patriciafanderson at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 10:45:16 PDT 2009

Yep, Cathy, you got it in one. :) Don't rely on any one tool, and
don't exclude any as having potential at some point. Mixing them
together is even better for creating richer educational opportunities
to reach a diverse audience. Bravo, and well said.

Jeremy, yes, we do here have trouble selling the idea of SL to
administrators in general and many students. We have a devoted core,
but we end up having biannual meetings on how are we going to persuade
others of the value. We try a lot of different things, and for some
administrators have found the "professional presentations in SL" to be
the most persuasive. If that is what it takes for them to get it, well
then, that is where we will start.

I'm just saying don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. I
wouldn't want to see either immersive or slideshows depended on
exclusively. Or any other one tool, for that matter. I am far too
aware of the hammer/nail problem ("if I have a hammer, everything
looks like a nail").

I push the immersive builds also, but find them to be something that
certain segments of my target audience really don't get, and refuse to
struggle to understand. They find them more entertaining rather than
engaging or educational. Others *DO* get it. I also work with
communities with disabilities, so am always pushing the concept of
providing content in a wide variety of ways. So, I will use whatever
tool I have if it works for the audience I am trying to reach.
Different strokes for different folks.

 - Patricia / Lexi

--
Patricia Anderson / SL: Perplexity Peccable
pfa at umich.edu OR patriciafanderson at gmail.com
Emerging Technologies Librarian, Health Sciences Libraries
University of Michigan
1135 East Catherine
Ann Arbor, MI 48109