[SLED] SL metrics and the "vast desert"

Bruce Sommerville sledevents at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 17:57:16 PDT 2008

Perhaps we can agree that people would prefer to own a large chunk of space,
and have plenty of space between them and their neighbours, and the facility
of teleportation enables them to do it in SL and still travel to other
places quickly, whereas in RL that historically was not possible - hence the
aggregation in to high density populations in RL.

On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 11:38 AM, Eloise Pasteur <eloisepasteur at gmail.com>wrote:

> ... whilst I agree it's historically based on daily travel distance, it
> strikes me the desire to own a chunk of space in Second Life is probably a
> stronger force than anything else simply because travel distance and time is
> totally irrelevant. You can have properties dotted around the grid and
> travel between them in a few seconds, regardless of distance after all. This
> probably doesn't explain why don't people all own 512 sqm plots and rub
> shoulders. Partly, I suspect, this is because they don't like small prim
> limits, but partly because they don't like neighbours. If you look at
> successful residential sims, they either offer large chunks of land (1/4 of
> a sim is often the smallest plot) or smaller plots with guaranteed safe
> space around them

As for the suggestion for re-arranging the map dynamically - it was an idea
just off the top of my head, as most of my bad ideas are!
Regards,
Bruce Sommerville.