[SLED] A game or not a game?

Benita Budd babudd at waketech.edu
Wed Sep 17 11:22:59 PDT 2008

Thanks, Bob - I really like this.
bb

Benita Budd

>>> Bob Boufford <boufford at aict.ualberta.ca> 9/17/2008 1:39 pm >>>
Hi,

A colleague and I often quote Marc Prensky's "Six Elements of Games" from
his book "Digital Games-based Learning" when we present on "games in
e-learning":

-Goals and Objectives
-Outcomes and Feedback
-Competition/Challenge/Opposition
-Interaction
-Representation or Story
-Rules

And when we start looking at the elements of a course:

- Goals and Objectives
- Outcomes and Feedback
- Challenge
- Interaction
- Information
- Policies

We can see some similarities between games and learning in an academic
course environment. Following Bruce's comments, Second Life "as is" only
meets one or two of the elements of games.

Cheers,

Bob