[SLED] Considering Ruth...

Douglas Danforth danforth.2 at osu.edu
Tue Sep 16 08:06:20 PDT 2008

>Don't we all start out in RL as females?  Fetuses with the Y
>chromosome subsequently become physically differentiated?  Perhaps a
>biologist can shed some light...
>
>Donna/RubyTuesday Ballyhoo

Hi Donna,

This is essentially correct. Sexual differentiation in humans occurs
around the 6th - 8th week of gestation. Before then all fetuses
contain both male and female reproductive organs and tracts. In the
absence of the Y chromosome, the male tract regresses and the female
tract develops.

I teach my students that we are all born to become female. Only the
presence of the Y-chromosome will stop the inevitable. :-)

Doug