[SLED] Re: Virtual World - definition (IMHO)

AJ sorry.afk at gmail.com
Sun Sep 7 12:47:09 PDT 2008

Nanci,

I know a number of people use First Life, but that is, in and of itself,
only a contrast to the application Second Life.  What would someone who only
goes into Project Wonderland call their non-virtual life?  :-)

aj

On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 11:00 AM, Nanci Burk <drnmburk at gmail.com> wrote:

> In total agreement with AJ on this one.  Every virtual interaction is in
> fact REAL, w/ a real human, in real time (unless we're leaving IMs), and has
> real impact on others.  Perhaps the term FIRST life is more accurate in this
> situation, although I've avoided that term previously.
> On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 7:35 AM, Dick Seabrook <dick.seabrook at gmail.com>wrote:
>

>> On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 9:32 AM, AJ <sorry.afk at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Real.  Hmmm....this is something I've been thinking about for while and
>>> spent a good deal of time talking to folks about here at SLEDcc.
>>>
>>> I have an issue with contrasting the virtual experience by calling it
>>> "real life".  My experiences in SL are real.  The social interactions, the
>>> learning, the communication, the emotions that come from those experiences,
>>> all very real.
>>>
>>> So I'm not sure I'd agree that a virtual world is not real.  I'm not sure
>>> the things that happen in virtual worlds are not real world phenomena.  I
>>> think people refer to non-virtual world as real life because no better term
>>> has been agreed on yet.
>>>
>>> So, the question really becomes, what is real?
>>>
>>> aj
>>>

>>> Since whatever we know about this "reality" place is filtered through our
>> senses (at the moment),
>> one place is pretty much as good as another depending on the opportunities
>> for interaction
>> and the quality of experience it provides.
>> Dick S.
>>
>> --
>> Dick Seabrook ~ Anne Arundel Community College
>> http://enterprise.aacc.edu/~rhs <http://enterprise.aacc.edu/%7Erhs> ~
>> Speed the Net!

> --
> Nanci Burk, Ph.D.
> Dept. of Communication
> Glendale Community College
> Glendale, AZ 84304

AJ Kelton
Director of Emerging Instructional Technology
College of Humanities and Social Sciences
Montclair State University (MSU)
1 Normal Ave, Montclair, NJ 07043

Second Life Project Coordinator
College of Education and Human Services, MSU

----------

http://www.sorry-afk.com
Second Life:
Main Grid: AJ Brooks for Education