[SLED] REPLY: RE: A larger problem with forced client updates

Steven Hornik shornik at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 12 06:49:38 PDT 2008

My apologies for not thinking globally and thus I think my main point might be being missed.  Linden Labs is able to support multiple viewers on the main and teen grids and has been doing this for at least the 2 years I've been using SL.  So they could offer an educational client that would not need updating until the end of whatever period a particular educational institution had, be that quarters, semesters or whatever.  At the recent SLEDcc event there was a letter to Linden Lab asking them for requests, I did not see viewer updates anywhere on that list (maybe I didn't read it carefully enough) so maybe LL is not aware of the problems this creates (I don't actually believe that but maybe its true).  As far as incentives, as was already pointed out, LL mentioned the educational sector in almost every talk they give now when discussing future plans and economically viable use cases.   I hope that clarifies some things,

Dr. Steven Hornik
University of Central Florida
Dixon School of Accounting
407-823-5739