[SLED] Conference: Women's Community in Second Life

S Collingwood collingwood.7 at osu.edu
Fri Oct 10 09:42:09 PDT 2008

Virtual Praxis: A Conference on Women's Community in Second Life

Saturday, November 15, 2008

To be held on Minerva, the teaching and research space in Second Life
maintained by The Department of Women's Studies, Ohio State
University.
http://people.cohums.ohio-state.edu/collingwood7/minerva/conference.html

As teachers, librarians, artists, health care workers, and as
volunteers in the many charitable and activist organizations of
Second Life, women are a very visible element of our virtual
community. The number of women's groups and community centers is
increasing, supported by an informal network of committed
individuals. Those who come here out of curiosity often find
themselves involved in these community activities, and those who came
for professional reasons often find that their interests have widened
and diversified as they have come into contact with Second Life
society. Is what we do here just relaxation, a metaphor for what we
do in real life, or do our Second Life activities have importance for
our home communities and for society in general?

Virtual Concerts in the Park

Linda Rogers (Second Life: Kate Miranda)
Executive Director
Toronto Philharmonia

There was a time when orchestras wanted to reach out to new
audiences, they would go out and play in public parks or shopping
malls. These days people are increasingly gathering on the internet
and in virtual reality to play and shop. As an arts administrator I
have been curious about the possibilities of audience development
within Second Life. Who are the musicians that are active in Second
Life? Why are they performing there? And who makes up the audience?

Virtual Praxis: In the Director's Chair

Phylis Johnson, Ph.D. (SL: Sonicity Fitzroy)
Associate Professor & Interim Chair, Department of Radio-Television
Southern Illinois University

This paper looks at women involved in the creation, production, and
distribution of news and entertainment content, and provides a wide
scan of their contributions in-world. This content is created for and
distributed to radio streams and news and entertainment cable
services, and printed in magazines and newspapers in Second Life. The
discussion specifically investigates the role of "media" women in SL
content creation, and the potential impact on the larger media
industry. SL users, internationally, are becoming notable media
makers, and HBO featured the first documentary produced inside this
digital community in early 2008. This paper attempts to create a
portrait of an emerging woman producer who resides in this hall of
media mirrors, and subsequently considers how much originality is
realistically possible during construction in this parallel mediated
universe.

The Women of Chilbo

Chris Collins (Second Life: Fleep Tuque)
Instructional & Research Computing, University of Cincinnati

Chilbo is a community of artists, architects, educators, musicians,
parents, hobbyists, students, and people from around the world who
share a common vision that our interactions and experiences in
virtual worlds can have a positive impact on our real world and our
real lives. The Chilbo sim in Second Life is the cultural center of
our community, but neither physical nor virtual location limits our
ability to collaborate and share resources with one another.

A Village of our Own
Leta Hendricks, MA, MS (Second Life: Tamu Oh)
Librarian, The Ohio State University

"A Village of our Own" is a discussion of womanist resources
available in Second Life. The Discussion will include a review of
Second Life contacts, landmarks, and other womanist sources.

Gender and Race in Ultra-Conservative Groups in Second Life
Randolph Hollingsworth, Ph.D. (Second Life: Bella Yan)
Assistant Provost, University of Kentucky

My presentation will focus on the role of female avatars in racist
right-wing groups in Second Life. Why would a right-wing group choose
to use Second Life for communication and outreach - and especially in
regards to women? Katherine Blee's Inside Organized Racism (2002)
states that women are heavily sought after by American hate groups,
making up half of all new recruits. Second Life is ideal for
imagining and practicing gender and race, and ultra-conservative
groups have found land, groups and events in Second Life that match
their needs. There is a clear connection between some white power,
nationalist websites and groups in Second Life. Individuals
identified in fascist discussion groups and MySpace profiles
sometimes post their Second Life avatar names. Portraits of female
avatars participating in right-wing groups in SL will be described.
Attendees will be given a party favors bag with hyperlinks to
important rightwing groups' websites and SL landmarks to interesting
sites. Attendees may wish to be teleported to one particular site to
see and discuss the symbolic structures present. In this session, as
Ingeborg Reichle wrote in her 2004 essay "Remaking Eden,"
(Cyberfeminism. Next Protocols): "the observer is no longer merely an
observer, but rather becomes a participant." The presenter will
facilitate a short discussion on the role of gender and race in
rightwing groups in Second Life.

Performing Virtual Women's Community
Lea Popielinski (Second Life: Lette Ponnier / Laertes Parx)
Ph.D. Candidate, Department of Women's Studies
The Ohio State University

This paper will explore the ways in which the concept of "women" in
Second Life shapes the building of women's homosocial environments
within SL through an examination of the concept in terms of gender
performance. The facility of constructing an SL avatar that is, by
conventional definitions of sex and gender, incongruent with one's
physical body, is enough to place such concepts as "women's
community" in tension. This paper will explore the meaning of the
phrase "women's community" through the concept of performativity as
it is understood through the work of Judith Butler. I will argue that
the physical sex of SL users is filtered through the SL medium to
obligate avatars in presumptively all-female spaces to perform
"women's community." The creation of "women's communities" in SL is a
practice in referentiality wherein tropes that take their meaning in
users' understanding of women's community come to be recognized and
reiterated in the virtual context, but with a latent awareness that
gender performance takes precedence over physical sex in the creation
of such spaces. One SL space I particularly wish to examine is the
Joyous Harmonious Park, formerly known as the Baths of Sisterhood, a
women-only relaxation park with a history that seems to involve
several characteristics stereotypically associated with the creation
and dissolution of women's spaces.

Panel discussion: Is Second Life a welcoming space for women?

As educators, business people, community activists, artists and
musicians, women make a strong contribution to Second Life society.
According to the last published metrics from Linden Lab, 40% of user
hours in Second Life are spent by people who self-report as female.
While their achievements are to be seen everywhere in our virtual
world, the energy and creativity of women in our community may face
obstacles. Although no formal studies have been published, there is
anecdotal evidence of harassment and intimidation. This panel will be
one of the first attempts to assess the problem, beginning with a
discussion our own personal experiences.

--
Dr. Sharon Collingwood
http://people.cohums.ohio-state.edu/collingwood7/

Department of Women's Studies