[SLED] Re: Slums in SL

Joe Clark jclark at supernet.net
Tue Mar 25 19:43:29 PDT 2008

I'm partial to the "Hobo Infohub" in Calleta, despite the non-PC
label.  It's more industrial wasteland than slum, but provides a lot
of opportunity for resistive readings of industrialism.  Toxic
plumes, landfills, etc.  The group responsible also makes some cool
whimsical freebies, like the bicycle blimp.  It's located along the
Great SL Railroad, a trans-sim project with its own potentials for
sociological instruction.

Overall there are relatively few (intentionally) dystopian builds in
SL, in my experience.  I'd like to see more environmental realism for
its educational potential.  The enigmatic ANWR offshore oil platform
would be a great place to hold talks, for example.

Joe

Joseph Clark (SL: JS Saltwater)
Academic Course Developer
Center for Teaching and Learning