[SLED] Identity Crisis-Should I retire my avatar Gisk Akina?

Javier Pinzón javier at funredes.org
Mon Mar 24 15:17:37 PDT 2008

> "What's in a name? That which we call a rose
> By any other name would smell as sweet."
>
> Romeo and Juliet (II, ii, 1-2)

The quote makes me remind another verse of the Borges poem "The Golem":

"Si (como el griego afirma en el Cratilo)
El nombre es arquetipo de la cosa,
En las letras de rosa está la rosa
Y todo el Nilo en la palabra Nilo"

that could be translated like:

"If (like the greek says in the Cratilo)
The name is archetype of the thing,
In the letters of rose it is the rose
And the whole Nile into the word Nile"

So Ann coined the name Gisk, but I don´t think that name would be the
essence of the organization she is quiting, and she has the ownership on
it. Anyhow her concern arise an interesting identity issue to think about
in the future, and for warning new comers to SL about the importance of
choosing the avatar name.

Javier
Ire Freund in SL

--