[SLED] Question about linking to our university homepage and creating a teleport system

rloon at hbci.com rloon at hbci.com
Fri Mar 21 21:32:43 PDT 2008

   To be clearer...... WebMon will do the first task you mentioned. We
use it all the time in the SL libraries for offer researchers in world
a way to link directly to web sites from a monitor in SL. If you visit
the reference desk at the greeting area on Info Island Internbational,
or any of the libraries on Info Island, you will see arrays of them.
They look just like the monitors in your SL library.

   You could also use WebMon to display information and offer students
landmarks, notecards, images, whatever, but I would prefer Bucky
Barkley's Slider tool. I am using it in my shop on Rich Idiot island
to cycle through a display of informational posters about ALS sims. A
visitor can click on a displayed poster and get a landmark or notecard
I have associated with that image.

   Both tools are on sale at Bucky's store this weekend ONLY. (No, I
do not get a commission on sales.)

   Rolig

   Quoting rloon at hbci.com:

>    Yes.  What you want is Bucky Barkley's WebMon 2.5. It is extremely
> easy to use. Visit his web site at
> http://buckybarkley.wordpress.com/category/webmon/[1] and[1] then go
> quickly to his store in SL at
> http://slurl.com/secondlife/Ileina%20Cove/221/89/23[2[2]]. This weekend
> ONLY, Bucky is doing a promotional sale of this and his other tools.
>
>    Rolig
>
>    Quoting alysongill at suddenlink.net:
>
>> I heard about SL last year, and have been on SL for two months. I
>> am  an assistant professor of Art History at Arkansas State
>> University,  and I am setting up a classroom where my students can
>> meet when I am  away at conferences. The university recently asked
>> me to develop an  art appreciation course in SL, and I am doing
>> that  now. I am hoping  that somebody on this list can help me
>> with    something. Can anyone  tell me how to find a working
>> computer in  SL  that will allow my  students to go to our
>> university homepage  and  also pick up notes for  our class? I
>> would also like to create  a  system where students could  come
>> into the SL classroom and  access a  menu that would have
>> landmarks embedded in it that they  would have  to visit that
>> week.  Does anyone know a simple way to  do this?
>>
>> Thanks! Alyson Gill
>> ---- Keith Sanders <ksanders at duke.edu> wrote:
>>> Hello everyone,
>>>
>>>     Responding to the directions on the Educators start page I'd like to
>>> introduce myself briefly.   My name is Keith Sanders and I am a faculty
>>> support /technology adviser  at Duke University's Fuqua School of
>>> Business.  I had never been to SL or any other virtual world until a
>>> couple of weeks ago.  I am exploring the possibilities of creating a
>>> virtual help desk and also the uses of virtual worlds for distance
>>> learning.  I'm very excited to find this group and that there are so
>>> many universities already using this technology.  Looking forward to
>>> learning and sharing with you.
>>>
>>> Keith
>>

> Links:
> ------