[SLED] Having a presence in SL 101: Questions for a Grant Proposal

Cathy Arreguin cathy_arreguin at mac.com
Fri Mar 14 15:12:08 PDT 2008

I agree that renting a space for a while can be a wise way to go. Low
cost and still the ability to experiment with different types of
spaces based on instructional need and MUVE affordances.

I would comment though, that while a 1024 CAN hold 50 avatars, it is
much more dependent on the avatar load in the entire SIM, or region,
that the 1024 is located.  If you have neighbors in that sim that have
stores, events or , in educational sims, concurrent classes, you may
find that students are bumped off, or that you crash the entire sim
when you try a larger event. ... Not such a great deal for your
neighbors.

I also agree that vertical space is a great way to add additional
group areas in a small space. You just need to be aware of your media
stream needs. Any media streams are connected to the land below and
will not be able to be tailored to individual group spaces if they are
directly above each other.  And, of course, the prims needed for each
level are  all tied to the prim limit of the land below.

Cathy
SL: Mari Asturias

Cathy Arreguin, MA, Educational Technology
Instructor: SDSU, EDTEC700: 3D MultiUser Learning Environments
Instructional Technology * Educational Media * Virtual Instruction
cathy_arreguin at mac.com