[SLED] Instructional Technology Manager

Carmel L Crane clc6 at stmarys-ca.edu
Tue Mar 11 13:47:52 PDT 2008

Hey there,

Saw your post. YOur descriptions sound like my position at
Saint Mary's College in Moraga. I think I am going to
change my title to technovangelist!

INSTRUCTIONAL TECHOLOGIST
Instructional Technology Team
Instructional Technology and Web Services
Computer and Technology Services
Job Summary:
The position is responsible for supporting, installing,
configuring, and training various instructional technology
systems, including web-based software applications,
desktop applications, and hardware solutions in support of
instructional processes. The position is a member of the
Instructional Technology team of Instructional Technology
and Web Services which oversees the support of most
teaching and learning applications.  The Instructional
Technologist reports to the Instructional Technology
Manager.
Essential Functions:
1.	Perform Application Administration for the campus
Learning Management System (currently Blackboard),
including some database administration, system
administration, and reporting functions.
2.	Serve as pilot project manager for the campus
electronic portfolio system (currently TaskStream). Become
familiar with California PACT.
3.	Support instructional technology training efforts
including but not limited to group and one-on-one
instruction as well as developing multimedia and other
training materials including video.
4.	Help faculty with all aspects of technology,
occasionally including computer consultation and support.
5.	Project management various educational technology and
web development projects, as assigned.
6.	Research and development with instructional technology
hardware such as clickers, smartboards, and other new
doohickeys.  This may involve managing a pilot project.
7.	Assess, recommend, administer, and support digital
media applications.
8.	Assist Library with instruction-related and digital
library technologies.
9.	Deploy applications into multiple environments
(development, testing, and production).
10.	Do workflow and information analysis to convert
existing processes into instructional applications.
11.	Help to evaluate possible software solutions for
functional needs for instructional technology.
12.	Assist Web Services as necessary.
13.	Administers other instructional applications as
assigned.
14.	Stay current with instructional technology, and
research various instructional technology tools.

Other Functions:

1.	Consult with and assist staff, faculty and student
clients in their use of supported applications.
2.	Develop and maintain documentation of systems.
3.	Maintain awareness of new instructional technology
trends and suggest improvements to team leadership.
4.	Participate in team planning.
5.	Aid in the on-going development of College's vision for
teaching and learning technologies.
6.	Promote collaboration between other units within
Computer and Technology Services.
7.	Other duties as assigned.

Qualifications:

1.	Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience and a
minimum two (2) years experience with instructional
technology.
2.	Working knowledge of Learning Management systems
(BlackBoard, WebCT, Sakai, Angel, Moodle, etc.) strongly
preferred.
3.	Understanding of current web development issues,
including accessibility for people with disabilities.
4.	Proven strong project management background.
5.	In-depth technical ability with at least one of the
following: desktop system support, server system
administration, database administration, digital media, or
web programming.  You don’t have to know all of these, but
we need someone who’s not afraid to be elbow-deep in a
computer’s brain.
6.	Highly Desirable: Server system administration
experience with either Windows or Linux.
7.	Experience rolling out new systems into production as
well as upgrading production systems while maintaining
availability in an enterprise environment.
8.	Able to work effectively with a variety of end users.
9.	Persistence and patience.
10.	Strong interpersonal skills, including effective oral
and written communication, and ability to communicate and
collaborate with staff and faculty at all levels of an
organization.
11.	Able to provide analysis of processes, as they relate
to the use of software.
12.	Able to function and promote a team environment with a
strong customer service ethic.
13.	Ability to handle multiple task simultaneously,
establish priorities, and work in an organized manner.
14.	Ability to work cooperatively and effectively with all
members of a culturally diverse campus community.
15.	Ability to work independently and as a team.
16.	Interest and skill at learning new programs.
17.	Passion for instructional technology.
18.	Generate reports using SQL from existing databases.
19.	Some knowledge of HTML.
20.	Get called “geek” occasionally.  All your friends ask
you for computer help.
21.	Understanding of and commitment to further the mission
of the College.
Working Conditions:
Works in an office and classroom environment using a
computer, Internet, and other office machines.  Meets with
others in offices across campus.  Travel to off-campus
meetings and attendance at professional association
meetings and conferences. Job intermittently involves some
lifting and moving of computer equipment up to 30 lbs.

On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 15:55:41 -0400
  AJ <keltona at mail.montclair.edu> wrote:
> Although not specifically SL related, it is somewhat
>tangentially.
>
> Do any of you out there have someone at your institution
>whose job it is to
> solely work with the faculty on implementing technology
>into their teaching
> (and subsequently the learning process).  I am not
>talking about an
> instructional designer, per se...this would be a more
>"mangement"-ish
> position.
>
> Someone who is a pedagogical technovangelist.  A person
>who works with
> faculty not on what content to put in/on their [insert
>medium here] but what
> tool to use to accomplish what it is they really want
>(as opposed to what
> they say they want sometimes).
>
> If you have someone like that, what is his/her job
>description? job title?
> What do they "do"?  Are they any good at it?  How would
>you change what they
> do if you could?
>
> If you don't have someone like that, would you like
>someone?  What would you
> expect his/her job description would be?  What job title
>do you think would
> make sense so that others would know clearly what this
>person does?  What
> would be your expectations - both realistically or
>idealistically?
>
> thanx,
> aj
>
> --
> ----------
> "In the unlikely story that is America, there has never
>been anything false
> about hope" - Barack Obama
>
> http://www.sorry-afk.com
> Second Life: