[SLED] GEnder of online gamers.

Marrapodi, Elisabeth EMarrapodi at Trinitas.org
Thu Mar 6 12:22:54 PST 2008

You're right, Rolig. What I meant was that the "techy" part is intimidating, especially to women who may not have had alot of gaming in their childhoods, like alot of boys do. I once went to a gaming tournament with my then 13 yr old son (back in the mid90's) and the only ones there were boys! I remember thinking wow, the gaming industry is missing a huge marketing demographic. I've always enjoyed gaming because I'm competitive by nature so I had to blast as many alien ships as I could or have my pacman eat a million dots but amongst my RL social circles, I am the only woman I know who is on SL and/or enjoys playing Grand Theft Auto!

Elisabeth Marrapodi
Director, Library Services
Trinitas Hospital
225 Williamson St.
Elizabeth NJ 07207
voice 908-994-5488
fax 908-994-5099

 "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart."
                                          -Colossians 3:23

-----Original Message-----
From: educators-bounces at lists.secondlife.com
[mailto:educators-bounces at lists.secondlife.com]On Behalf Of Rolig Loon
Sent: Thursday, March 06, 2008 1:36 PM
To: 'SL Educators'
Subject: RE: [SLED] GEnder of online gamers.

I'm not sure why you might expect women to be more intimidated by a steep
learning curve than men. True, women tend to blame themselves for being "too
dumb to figure it out," while men tend to blame "the stupid system," but it
just seems to me that on balance women are at least as patient with a
learning challenge as men. I dunno, are there data to suggest otherwise?

Regardless of the answer, I think the appeal of SL for women is the
relational aspect, as others have suggested. LL's statistics indicate, if I
remember, that women typically stay logged on longer than men. We talk a
lot, and that's cool. ;-)

Rolig