[SLED] Metaverse is ONE.

Char-Lez Braden komori_san at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 3 14:32:58 PST 2008

Parriah,

I'm not sure about "fuel consumption of all kinds".  Having things spread out might mean more moving things around, not less.  Indeed, I think we can look at American cities and public transit and find a correlation between population density and the incident of car ownership and draw a conclusion about the need for transport in sparcely populated areas.  People collectivized in the first place to cut costs, one of those costs being transport costs.

Also, why bother to move at all if you can just slap on the VR interface and "be" in your environment of choice?  Why actually move to the Grand Canyon if you can be there without any of the associated hassles?

In fact, it might well make for a cause of increasing the population density.  If you have less and less need for a car, then your primary mode of travel might be to walk and use public transportation for the few remaining needs.  (Which would reduce fuel useage.)

I'm not sure it will lead to a return to family life.  Once of the biggest draws to the metaverse is the ability to escape the circumstances of your real existence.  If people can escape quickly, then perhaps the result will be more families by choice than biology.  If someone can slap on the interface and be suddenly in the presence of people they like, relate too and understand, then what's to stop them?

I think the problems of the metaverse are going to get more pronounced as the interface gets better.  If we ever reach a stage where the experience is completely immersive such as the Star Trek Holodeck, then it seems likely to me some people will hook themselves up to feeding tubes and plug in and never come out.  You can stack an awful lot of otherwise comatose folks in a small area for support staff to tend.

Char-Lez