[SLED] Formal Academic Research in SL

Long, Bonnie bonnie.long at nuigalway.ie
Tue Jul 22 06:48:26 PDT 2008

Hi John,

Congrats on getting the PhD!!

I've just finished an MSc in Technology and Learning at Trinity Collge, Dublin. I've been a 'lurker' on this list for nearly a year now, and thought this a great opportunity to introduce myself and share my research topic. (Now that I have the time to do something OTHER than research!) This list has been a great resource for me this year. Thank you to all members for your knowledge, and willingness to share it!

I'm an Ed Tech tutor in the Education Department at the National University of Ireland, Galway. I work with students studying to be secondary school teachers. For my dissertation, I investigated the use of Second Life to build an online peer-support community for these pre-service teachers.

Here's the abstract:

Learning to teach has been described as one of the most complex activities anyone can undertake (Schifter, 2005) Pre-service teachers today are faced with daunting challenges that can leave them feeling isolated and alone. This study investigates the use of the multi-user virtual environment (MUVE) Second Life as a means of creating an online support system for a group of pre-service teachers completing the one year Post Graduate Diploma in Education course at the National University of Ireland, Galway.  An investigation of the relevant literature covers both synchronous and asynchronous uses of CMC to foster a sense of community in pre-service teachers, different types of online learning communities, the role of social presence in a community of inquiry and best practices for the use of Second Life in education. The single case study used a multimethod approach based on the practices and assumptions of qualitative inquiry. Data was collected for analysis from several sources, including chat transcripts, student journals, questionnaires and structured interviews. Findings show that the MUVE Second Life can be used as a vehicle for peer support for pre-service teachers if the technical issues associated with accessing the virtual world are overcome.

I'd be happy to share resources with anyone. The document is not on the web as of yet, but I can email the PDF if anyone is interested.

Regards,

Bonnie

Catraoine Flanagan (SL)

Bonnie Long