[SLED] Metaverse Meetup in NYC 7/23/08

twu at berkeleycollege.edu twu at berkeleycollege.edu
Fri Jul 18 06:07:25 PDT 2008

The Metaverse Meetup of New York is having an event on Wednesday, July
23rd at 7:00 p.m.
Please see details below and RSVP at the Metaverse Meetup website for New
York City...

http://gamedev.meetup.com/153/calendar/8359764/

ANNOUNCEMENT:

7/23/08 Metaverse Meetup: OpenSim and virtual worlds interoperability

Where:
Global Kids
137 East 25th Street, 2nd Floor
New York, NY 10010
212.226.0130

Hello avatars,

We are very excited to announce our next Metaverse Meetup!

As many of you may already know, IBM and Linden Labs recently announced a
historic breakthrough in virtual worlds: "...research teams from the two
companies successfully teleported avatars from the Second Life Preview
Grid into a virtual world running on an OpenSim server, marking the first
time an avatar has moved from one virtual world to another":

http://blog..secondlife.com/2008/07/08/ibm-linden-lab-interoperability-announcement/

The topic for this Metaverse Meetup will be OpenSim and virtual worlds
interoperability and we are very fortunate to be featuring leading
pioneers of OpenSim as presenters: David Levine of IBM (Zha Ewry in SL)
and Adam Frisby of DeepThink Labs (Adam Zaius in SL). Other members of
OpenSim have also been invited to take part and Tish Shute, who writes
about OpenSim on her blog Ugotrade, will serve as a guest moderator.

More info about OpenSim and the interoperability announcement:

http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Main_Page
http://zhaewry.wordpress.com/2008/07/09/interop-teleports-along/
http://www.ugotrade.com/2008/07/08/ibm-linden-lab-launch-protocols-for-virtual-world-interoperability/

This Metaverse Meetup will be an excellent not-to-be-missed opportunity to
learn more about OpenSim directly from its most influential developers and
discuss with fellow Metaverse Meetuppers how all this may affect the
future of virtual worlds. We invite you to come and participate.

Special thanks to to Global Kids for so generously hosting us in their
space and to Tish Shute who has been kindly assisting in organizing the
speakers.

Hope to see you all next Wednesday!

Best,
Annie Ok
Co-Organizer of Metaverse Meetup

P.S. Global Kids have graciously offered to allow our members to bring
snacks and beverages with them if they wish. Please respect our lovely
hosts and keep the mess to a minimum.

Also, a reminder that this Saturday, July 19th, is the final day of the
"Tourists and Travelers" exhibition at Eyebeam, featuring Taeyoon Choi's
"Camerautomata Charlie: Image Digesting Robotic Duck" that travels around
NYC, shooting and printing pictures of tourists; and Joseph DeLappe's "The
Salt Satyagraha Online— Gandhi’s Salt March in Second Life", work derived
from his 240 mile walk on a treadmill and in cyberspace.

More info about "Tourists and Travelers" at Eyebeam:

http://eyebeam.org/engage/engage.php?page=exhibitions&id=174
http://www.camerautomata.org/
http://www.delappe.net/

Theodore Ubhaus