[SLED] Island/Sim Manager job description - Please contribute

padlurowncanoe Dibou padln at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 17 06:11:52 PDT 2008

I am putting together a list of skills/duties/expectations that a college or educational organization may require if it were to hire a full-time individual to develop and manage their SL presence.  If some of you out there have already created such a job description for your campus or organization, paid or volunteer, please share it with me off list.  But I would like everyone to share their ideas of what this job description should entail and please include anything out of the ordinary -- from general ideas down to specifics that you feel should be spelled out in such a situation.   These can be submitted off list or on list, your preference,  but on list often stimulates both new ideas and refinement of ideas.

I will share the accumulated results with SLED.

To stimulate discussion, I will throw out some random thoughts that need refinement --

managing/safeguarding/organizing the island inventory
event management
scheduling
student/visitor interaction
paper mgt trail/avi access in the event of their absence
legal agreements involving ownership of property - ideas, objects, etc
hours in general
on island hours? (like office hours)
staff/student support
meeting attendance both in and out of world
building to inc collaboration to meet ind. staff needs/desires
budget responsibility
presenting
other communication

I think it will be a benefit to all if such a list is available to pick and choose from depending on individual wants and needs, but, for me, the biggest benefit is that it is less likely that I would leave off something very important.  Eeeek!  I hate it when I do that!

Thanks in advance to everyone!

Cathy Walker
aka padlurowncanoe Dibou