[SLED] It's great to be here.

Sabine Reljic sabinereljic at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 08:46:10 PDT 2008

Welcome,

My suggestions about introducing SL to your institution's stakeholders is to
0-Go to an ISTE inworld session, visit the ICT LIbrary on Info Island
International, (check the SL event calendar, SL News Network ...), 1-enrol a
few more enthusiastic colleagues of yours, 2-set up a brown bag lunch for
administrators that would offer a general overview of SL (ppt based, then
with a SL guest speaker for a real-time exchange between you and SL), 3-set
up an introductory session to SL skills, 4-set up some brainstorming
sessions for instructors in different disciplines (make sure to visit the
SaLamander Wiki for this), 5-propose a SL club for students (there is surely
a Spanish class or an art class or something else that the students can
choose from one day a week. Why not a machinima or building class in SL?)
6-propose an after-school program to your board (make sure to check out the
Global Kids. I think that they franchise their program), 7-Invite parents
and other concern caretakers for a Q&A about the environment (make sure you
prepare a tight presentation with demonstration first), 8-Look around for
grants (more and more federal, state, local and privately-sponsored grants
seek to help forward-thinking schools.

Resources to check:
http://www.rezed.org/ (also look for a group that might answer you specific
questions
http://www.eduisland.net/salamanderwiki (specifically, check the Learning
Content Areas for ideas)
http://www.globalkids.org/
http://www.slnn.com/
http://secondlifegrid.net/
http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=f3b7ubjteso0776u83v4i38qm8%40group.calendar.google.com&gsessionid=RXp_2wLyS7Ltv3H_DeIw3A

I am sure that SLEDers will add many more links and suggestions to mine. Be
prepared. This is a very generous community,
S.
(SL: Willow Shenlin)