[SLED] question re: OpenSim

Jacob, Anthony ajacob at uiwtx.edu
Thu Jul 3 12:18:38 PDT 2008

Hi ya'll,

...interesting blurb on  Reuters <http://secondlife.reuters.com/stories/2008/07/02/second-life-premium-growth-flat-over-past-12-months/>  this week regarding SL growth over the past 12 months. The short article focuses on the fact that, while time spent in SL overall increased dramatically, premium membership has actually declined. The story uses this stat as evidence that SL is failing to attract new users. What the article fails to take into consideration is that many people own land in SL without having premium accounts, so I'm not clear on how this stat can be correlated to a "failing to attract new users" argument.

But what I'm really interested in here is the suggestion that OpenSim is eroding SLs member base. I've followed the discussions re: OS in this list for some time and finally thought I understood that it's not a virtual world per se, but more like a platform for connecting VWs and enabling avs to jump from one to the other--more like a way of facilitating access between VWs. But after reading this article I'm afraid I'm lost again. The article seems to suggest that OS is just another VW competing with SL for users. Is this the case?

This email and any files transmitted with it may be confidential or contain privileged information and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed.  If you are not the intended recipient, please be advised that you have received this email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this email and any attachments is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this email in error, please immediately delete the email and any attachments from your system and notify the sender.  Any other use of this e-mail is prohibited. Thank you for your compliance.