[SLED] educator's 50% discount on land: The possibility of something smaller than an island

Blair MacIntyre blair at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Feb 18 09:21:37 PST 2008

> Our idea was to create a group and deed the 512 sq.
> meters we each got with membership to the group. We
> might also then buy more land as a group as we need
> it. The advantage of buying as a group is that $40 per
> month will buy more than four times the sq. meters
> that $10 a month would.

Yes, indeed, you get leverage as a group.

> I am told that I can own 512 sq. meters and pay
> nothing beyond my membership. As of now, I have not
> claimed my land. When I do, can I determine where it
> will be? Could a group of four people claim 4*512
> anywhere we want. Can we ask that another 2048 be
> created at some existing location that we like? How
> does all that work?

Ah, the idea that you get free land is not quite right.  You can have
512 sq meters and pay no monthly land use fees;  but, you don't get
land for free, as far as I know.  You have to buy it, from someone
else in SL.  There are auctions, I think, for new land, but I've never
investigated that.  When I started, I found a 512 sqm piece of land
that was for sale (L$7999 back then) and bought it.  Eventually, I
bought more (I think we were up to 4096 sqm) and then decided to just
get the island.

> I’m really sorry to be asking such basic questions.
> I’m picking the collective brain here rather than
> wondering around semi-lost in KB. If I am causing
> annoyance, I will go back to KB.
> Michael

You are definitely not causing annoyance;  as I always remind my
students when I teach, chances are if you have a question, others do
too! :)