[SLED] second inventory (second life inventory backup app)

Aldon Hynes Aldon.Hynes at Orient-Lodge.com
Sat Feb 9 13:32:22 PST 2008

Additional information.

I have received a test copy of Second Inventory from the developer.  As I
noted before his email address is from an Italian domain and I suspect that
some of the poor documentation is because English is his second language.

This is version 1.0.0.0  He is still gathering ideas about how to make the
product more useful.  It appears to use libsecondlife to connect to Second
Life.  One downside of this is that you cannot be in your Second Life viewer
at the same time as you are backing up or restoring objects using Second
Inventory.  However, you can still receive IMs, teleport, and I'm not sure
what all else.

As Gary notes, my first experiences with it are that it does only appear to
be able to transfer one object at a time.  I've suggested he might want to
change it.  It is also a little slow on downloading the object.

I have not tried uploading anything yet.

Downloaded objects are saved in an encrypted format.  I don't know if this
allows object to be shared or not.  You can edit the objects, including text
in notecards and scripts as well as extract textures.

I did use this to extract a texture of a T-shirt I have in SL, save the
texture as a .bmp file and then upload it into an alternative grid.  Some of
these other grids are a little flakey right now, so I didn't get to
experiment with this as much as I would have liked.

I should also note that one of the t-shirts that I have right now is copy
protected.  I could back it up, but I could not extract (make a copy of) the
image.

As I think I noted before, it only goes to the SL Main grid right now, but
options for other grids will be added in a future release.

I think that gives a good summary right now.  My sense is that it is still
very much a version 1.0 product.  It only runs on Windows with .NET 2.0
installed.  If you're a geeky early adopter, you should play with it now.
Otherwise, you might wait for some future releases.

Anyone who has specific questions, let me know, and I'll test things and
respond back.

Aldon