[SLED] RL or FL?

Storm Hunt storm at picsel.com
Fri Feb 8 02:46:35 PST 2008

Actual usage on SL: I use RL, occasionally typing "Real Life" to a noob who
may not know the abbreviation.

Why? Convention from sheer volume of use over the years. RL is a very old
and commonly used term now, pre-dating SL usage by much more than a decade.
Ask anyone from the vast MUD community (Multi-User Dungeon). The text
abbreviation IRL (In Real Life) was also often used in MUD. This dates from
a time when there was no Second Life to contrast with a First Life! (This
is all despite the SL client having a "1stLife" tab on an avatar's
profile!)

Actual usage in RL: I use Real Life when talking to SL and non-SL people
alike.

Why? Laziness. (Economy of energy :) No need to switch between the two
audiences and FL assumes that they might know about numbered lives, which
may not be the case!

Preference: As, depending on your religion or philosophy, neither is 'real'
(or perhaps both are real in different ways), I'll go with convention :)

Storm