[SLED] New to the List

dpalmer at jcu.edu dpalmer at jcu.edu
Sun Dec 14 07:56:47 PST 2008

   I'm Dan Palmer, Computer Science professor at John Carroll University in Northeast Ohio.  This is my second semester using SL in the classroom (or often as the classroom!).

I have incorporated LSL as a unit in my Alternative Programming class.  I am also teaching freshman seminar with a collection of fellow faculty (9 sections of ~20 students each) on the theme of Social Justice in Second Life: Building a Utopia.
I have the extreme good fortune of working with avatar Susanne Patrono and have greatly benefited from her knowledge and guidance.
John Carroll has made a three-year commitment to the theme in freshman seminar, so we'll hopefully be improving on this next year and the year after. Next semester I am planning on using SL in computer science again as a proving ground for our robotics class.
I will send a dedicated invitation to this list shortly, but for anyone who is interested (and made it this far in an introduction e-mail), the students from my freshman seminar will be presenting their final projects in-world from 10am to 11:50am SL time. (East Coast time: 1:00pm to 2:50pm).  The location is in Cleveland VIII, slurl down below.  Hope to see you there.