[SLED] New to the List

dpalmer at jcu.edu dpalmer at jcu.edu
Sun Dec 14 07:56:47 PST 2008

Hello.

   I'm Dan Palmer, Computer Science professor at John Carroll University in Northeast Ohio.  This is my second semester using SL in the classroom (or often as the classroom!).

I have incorporated LSL as a unit in my Alternative Programming class.  I am also teaching freshman seminar with a collection of fellow faculty (9 sections of ~20 students each) on the theme of Social Justice in Second Life: Building a Utopia.

I have the extreme good fortune of working with avatar Susanne Patrono and have greatly benefited from her knowledge and guidance.

John Carroll has made a three-year commitment to the theme in freshman seminar, so we'll hopefully be improving on this next year and the year after. Next semester I am planning on using SL in computer science again as a proving ground for our robotics class.

I will send a dedicated invitation to this list shortly, but for anyone who is interested (and made it this far in an introduction e-mail), the students from my freshman seminar will be presenting their final projects in-world from 10am to 11:50am SL time. (East Coast time: 1:00pm to 2:50pm).  The location is in Cleveland VIII, slurl down below.  Hope to see you there.

-Dan

http://slurl.com/secondlife/ClevelandPlus%20VIII/151/98/23