[SLED] Presenting large amount of text - are notecards the best method to use?

Bob Boufford boufford at aict.ualberta.ca
Sun Apr 20 08:35:26 PDT 2008

HI,

Eloise brings up a very important point of ³need² to have large amounts of
text in-world when there may be other more effective means of delivering
large amounts of content to the student.

For those of us who work with and support course management systems systems
for online learning since the late 1990¹s, we often find large amounts of
text as single pages or a few pages in a learning module (WebCT), learning
unit (Blackboard) or Book (Moodle) are not read online by the students. They
will either print off the text (loss of more trees), download the files for
later reading on a handheld device or just ignore the content. This can
often be seen fairly clearly by looking at the various student tracking
functions found in a CMS.

We are now working with a student population that tends to have shorter
attentions spans and works in ³chunks² of text through mobile phone text
messaging and Twitter. There¹s also a time issue. Second Life, being a
real-time environment like traditional chat in a CMS, requires carving out
some time in a busy day. When I¹m in-world, I don¹t want to spend time
reading long passages of text when I could be doing something that is unique
to a virtual world environment.

Second Life is a complement to other methods of online delivery not a
replacement. Some of the best educational uses of Second Life I have seen
are a blend of CMSs and SL, using the best features of both systems. So I
would recommend keeping the long passages of text out of Second Life,
delivered to the student through other means such as an online course, prior
to going ³in-world².

Cheers,

Bob