[SLED] presentation reminder

David Davis david at fdlrstech.com
Thu Apr 17 13:33:29 PDT 2008

Just a reminder re a presentation Friday on FDLRS Island.

Title: Conducting Professional Development in Second Life: An Introduction
Date: April 18th 2008 (Friday)
Time: 12:30 PM PDT (3:30 PM EDT)
Duration: <1 hour
Place: FDLRS Island Training Complex
SLURL: http://slurl.com/secondlife/FDLRS/144/62/22

Note: This presentation will use voice chat.

This presentation targets information for providers of professional development services to K-12 teachers and why one would use Second Life as a professional development platform. Topics include:

1. Why Second Life?
2. Models of Professional Development
3. Second Life Tools
4. Complementary Tools
5. Accountability in a Performance Results Framework

The first four topics cover the basics of why and how to use Second Life as a distance learning platform for professional development. Part of this discussion will include why we are starting to use SL with the Florida Diagnostic & Learning Resources System (FDLRS) as a distance learning platform for services to teachers of students with disabilities. We will use hands-on activities for several of the Second Life tools discussed.

The fifth topic will include a basic overview of results accountability (based on Mark Friedman's work) and data collection. We have been field testing a statewide performance accountability data collection system for the past two years on teachers' using technology and learning strategies in the classroom. Results accountability is an excellent system to support flexibility in professional development models.

After the presentation those who are interested will be invited to go on a ?field trip? and visit a variety of environments in Second Life.