[SLED] Social and Educational Activism

Aldon Hynes Aldon.Hynes at Orient-Lodge.com
Fri Sep 21 06:05:18 PDT 2007

Random comments:

Social activists have always had to work within frameworks that were not
necessarily inline with their stated goals.  Second Life is no different.
Yet that doesn't mean we don't work within these frameworks.  I would point
to RootsCampSL, Progressive Island, CodePink in SL, TechSoupSL and various
other activist efforts in Second Life.

To your specific questions:
    * How can the possible separation between SL and
the Grid itself -people are talking about that- affect
this point?

I can see two sides to this.  With the emergence of other grids, activists
can go out and find a grid more inline with their stated purpose.  They can
create their own grid.  However, this runs into the issue of 'bonding'
social capital instead of 'bridging' social capital.  They may do a good job
of preaching to the choir in their own little, more socially correct grid,
but they won't reach new people the way they would if they stay on the main
grid.

    * Do you think that one day the platform will be
free becoming kind of an open source system?

Isn't that what OpenSim is trying, and I believe doing a fairly good job of
doing?  Hasn't Linden Labs already said they plan to make their server
available as an open source system?

    * What do u think future will be: Open source
systems (kind of open Croquet -so much work to be
done-), Non-profit private spaces, no chance,
something in between...

As I've written before, I think of Second Life as the next generation
browser.  My understanding is that the client is already open source, and
there are various efforts to build alternative clients, such as for the
visually impared, as has been discussed here.  As noted above, I believe the
server is becoming open source.  What I hope, and believe, will happen, is
that various standard protocols will emerge and programs will be written to
these protocols, which will continue to evolve, similar to transmission
protocols like http and smtp or varioius formating protocols like html.  To
the extent that certain protocols become de facto standards, other systems
will adopt, so I imagine someone will create an implementation of
OpenCroquet that works as both a client and server in this 3dMUVE world.

I also expect that as we saw in email, and are starting to see in instant
messaging standards will develop which will facilitate inter-system
connectivity.  (Note to self:  Maybe it is time to build my first SL to
OpenSim connector)  I will note, that I now use my secondlife client, along
with Twitterbox as my Twitter client and I am hoping that someone will get
around to building a nice connection to IM systems, so I can use it as my
AOL, Yahoo, Google, etc connection.  We did work like that in the old world
of MOOs....

Aldon