[SLED] new member

twu at berkeleycollege.edu twu at berkeleycollege.edu
Wed Sep 19 06:00:34 PDT 2007

Games have been often created in computer programming as sample
applications.  Now due to the expansive growth of the gaming industry, the
mentality regarding the word "games" is changed.

I usually avoid referring to Second Life as a game due to the imagery
associated with games now, however, my foremost reason is that Second Life
is not a game.  I also use words the words coined by Ivan Sutherland of
"virtual world" myself to refer to SL.  I find, Carloyn, that your choice
of those words as generally recommendable.

Other words I use are "platform", "simulator" or "3-D internet", depending
on what emphasis I desire to communicate.  If I wish to draw someone in a
conversation by an enigmatic term, I will refer to Second Life as the
"metaverse".

However, to speak about the other side of this about terminology, let me
mention that Second Life does use game technology and could also, by some
definitions, be categorized as a game.  The term "game" may be the correct
word to use to describe SL in some topics.  SL can be counted as a gaming
software and thus included in communities about computer games.  There are
also other appropriate uses of the word "game" in reference to SL.

Yes, I too, remember the old days too when computer games for kids was
more emphaticly about writing them in Basic and Fortran than actually
about playing them.  Made a career for me and such "games", I know, still
do make careers for others.  Games are educating.

Theodore Ubhaus
Information Systems
Berkeley College

"Carolyn Lowe" <drclowe at gmail.com>