[SLED] v-presenting challenge

Aldon Hynes Aldon.Hynes at Orient-Lodge.com
Mon Sep 17 17:47:00 PDT 2007

Here is my configuration and suggestions:

I have a pretty old laptop.  It is a Dell Latitude C840, I believe it is
about a 2002 vintage.  It has 1 GB of Ram and is running Windows 2000.

I run OpenSim in standalone mode with my storage_plugin set to
OpenSim.DataStore.NullStorage.dll

I do this in part because I haven't gotten SQLite running on my laptop.  Yet
I've chosen not to get it running because that keeps my configuration
trimmed down.

Also, standalone mode avoids a lot of overhead of the user, grid and asset
servers.

When I build the world I want to work in, I execute the save-xml command
from the OpenSim server prompt.  In my case, I'm simply running

save-xml prims.xml

Then, when I start up OpenSim on my laptop, I run
load-xml prims.xml
as part of my startup_commands.txt file

This loads the world that I've saved.  If I want, I can have different
worlds, depending on the presentation I'm making.

Works pretty nicely, but then again, I'm running in a single sim without a
lot of prims in it.  I don't know at what point this would become
unmanageable.

Aldon