[SLED] Your [Top 5] feature requests for SL - yes WE can make a difference - TOGETHER!

Eloise Pasteur eloisepasteur at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 06:35:18 PDT 2007

I've been thinking about this a bit... and I have sympathy for both
sides of the argument.

I would, wholeheartedly agree with Jeremy we need to consider the
negative impacts of a change as well as the positives.

I think there are several that are being ignored. Firstly, what
browser behaviour do you expect? Even if you're out there in PC land
you've got choices other than IE, on the mac, I have have several
dozen and I've tried most of them! All of them are attractive in
parts, and what I want is a browser that does ALL of the good
features and none of the bad, but remains lean and fast. Yes, I know
this is, in essence, impossible. So, I wouldn't complain if this
perfect browser, with full interaction came into SL, probably, even
though I might not use it much (although I might).

What I'd love to have MORE though, is tools in SL to collaborate and
display well formatted text. I would love the ability to work with a
student on a script where we both see the script, work on it
cooperatively, and stay within SL so we can test it too. I'd love to
be able to present lists, headings and things - not necessarily the
whole richness of html, but the kind of choices you get in something
like wikispaces so you can make the text easier to read would be
great. (Bold, italics, 3 levels of heading, ordered and unordered
lists, indents basically).

SL is often about things other than presenting text - we have
alternate routes to do that, and routes that do it a lot more
reliably and efficiently IMO. But to say that SL should be a 100%
text free medium is taking a step or 5 too far for me. People in most
societies, even dyslexic people and blind people, use the written
word a lot. Giving us better tools to work with that, excellent move.

If I had to choose between html on a prim and displaying scripts in
world and better text display tools, I'd go for the latter. If the
only way to have the latter is to have the former too, not a problem
for me.

El.

http://educationaldesigns.eloisepasteur.net/
http://eloisepasteur.net/blog/