[SLED] RE: uAdvice for iMac

Jeff Mao jmao at mlti.org
Sat Sep 15 17:21:57 PDT 2007

Using MS Office documents (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) on a Mac can be
very simple. The simplest way is to install MS Office for Macintosh.
Soon, MS claims to be releasing an updated version of Office for Mac.
The current version works fine. .doc, .xls, and .ppt files are
written the same on a Mac as they are on a PC, so you won't have any
issues swapping files with Windows users.

You can also try using OpenOffice or NeoOffice. Last I checked, there
is an alpha version of Open Office that uses the native Macintosh
user interface. Otherwise, you can use the stable releases inside of
an X11 window or NeoOffice which uses a java-wrapper if I'm not
mistaken, to move the menus and such into the normal Mac user interface.

I help manage a large deployment of Macs with NeoOffice installed,
and generally speaking, users who are accustomed to Word for windows
find it easier to deal with than the Mac version of Office because it
looks more Windows like.

iWork will open word, excel and powerpoint, and write back into those
formats, but if you start to take advantage of some of the unique
features of those applications on the Mac, then those won't translate
well back to the Office formats.

For occasional Windows use on a Mac, Parallels is probably the best
choice. Installation is fast and easy, and it really does work quite
well. Using Parallels makes it much simpler to share data between the
two operating system environments (drag and drop, cut and paste, or
it will even set up a virtual file share for you too).

As far as your license goes,...seek out a Vista Business Upgrade
license. Here, I know I can get a copy through our University
purchasing contracts for $99. That licenses specifically allows for
using Windows in a virtual machine. Most Windows licenses are not
really licenses, but upgrade licences that presume you have a copy of
Windows already,...which you wouldn't on this Mac. With the Vista
Business Upgrade, you should be OK. You can run an older version of
Windows (ie XP) with that license. Verify with your local purchasing
group, but that's what we've determined here is the best course of
action. Finding an actual OEM shrink wrapped copy of XP is hard, and
usually costs upwards of $399.

Good luck!
Jeff

**************************