[SLED] RE: uAdvice for iMac

Bruce Sommerville bdsommerville at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 16:13:18 PDT 2007

Hi Alan,
 Thanks for that explanation of running two operating systems on the Mac. It
sounds as though Parallels might be easier to set up and use - I might look
at their website and see what they say. On the other hand, the new Panther
operating system might make this easy, as you suggest. I'll wait to find
out.
   Ideally, I hope to keep the two systems separate, since I have my Toshiba
laptop for work, on which I run Windows, which the majority of my students
use, and which my university is geared up for, while the iMac can be used at
home for everything else. However, everyone on this list will know the
impossibility of keeping work separated from home! The only possible problem
here is loading Windows/Word .doc files into a Mac, and perhaps that could
be done with Microsoft Office for Mac (as a last resort!). There are many
other options for reliable office or student/teacher style software,
including iWork and Open Office (Sun Microsystems), which is free and very
good. On that note, if anyone can recommend good 'student/teacher
edition' software for Apple machines, I'd be pleased to hear about it.
   Anyway, there's only one way to find out how this will work, and that's
buy the Mac and take the plunge!
Regards,
Bruce Sommerville.