RE: [SLED] DeepGrid - Rival grid s threaten Lindenâ?Ts monopoly on SL technology

Trevena, Stan Trevena.S at monet.k12.ca.us
Fri Sep 7 13:53:09 PDT 2007

Don’t confuse the two separate issues in that article.  There’s the OpenSim project that is very limited and not persistent (at this time).  That is the “clean room” developed compatible software platform that will run with the official open source client.  If you’ve never heard that term, it means that the code must be developed without any knowledge of the original code.  It has to be developed in complete isolation, a virtual vacuum.

The quote in the article from Philip Rosedale “his company would be open sourcing the Second Life server code” is different from the OpenSim project.  If they (Linden) open source the server software, that will be the real deal, no shadow of the real thing.  I would think that if they are smart, they might even go one step further and package grids in rack mountable appliances (like the Google appliances for enterprises that want to leverage Google search technology in their networks, http://www.google.com/enterprise/intranet_search.html ).  I would love to be able to rack up grids for my district/projects.  This model has the benefit of allowing Linden Lab to control the hardware platform along with the actual code and updates (most of these types of appliances are pushed updates automatically).  I seriously doubt this would change their business model much.  We would buy a physical server, as opposed to a server hosted by Linden Lab, for our islands.  We would pay a monthly maintenance to connect that server to the main grid, not unlike the monthly fees we pay now for maintenance of our land.  Of course, if the server code is put in open source, others would also be able to package it as they saw fit.  I personally would prefer to buy directly from Linden Lab.

If Linden Lab open sources the server software, and allows for a tie in to the main grid and economy (for a fee), I would be all over that with our PacRimX project.  We are already a ship in a bottle on the Teen Grid.  Nobody can come to our islands, and nobody can leave our islands to go to either grid.  I would love to have control over my own environment and user accounts.  This would resolve the majority of issues we have with our current setup, especially with students turning 18.

The fact is that Second Life has been a victim of their own success.  They grew so fast over this past year that they have slammed into the ugly concurrent user grid issues.  This will be a mortal wound if they are not able to recover from it soon.  It has already cost them business and users.  They are at the tipping point for this platform, maybe a little past.  The history of Second Life and Linden Lab in a few years will be that in the coming year they were incredibly brilliant in transitioning to a distributed grid system while experiencing exponential growth and laying down the foundation for a global network of grids (metaverse), or history will look back and see the next year as the year the best hope for a 3D layer over the Internet went into a death spiral and flamed out.  If the later happens, this entire industry will stutter and any kind of hope for a multiplatform, multi grid global system will die (kind of like the DOTCOM bubble burst).

There are too many players and too many things falling into place to suggest anything other than the first scenario.  I will be terribly disappointed if the later scenario occurs.  From everyone I’ve met at Linden Lab over the past year, and from what I know about them as a company, they are all heavily invested in the dream.  Philip Rosedale has the vision, there is no doubt about that.  I tied our project to this platform, and if I were starting my project up today I would do exactly the same thing.  I pay a year in advance for our project (soon to be 4 islands).  I have absolutely no hesitation to pony up my money for a new island and a year’s maintenance on all four islands.  I am cutting a PO this next week as a matter of fact.  I know that when (not if) they do offer separate grids (open source servers) that there will be some vehicle for me to move my project over with as little pain as possible.  That’s the kind of company Linden Lab is, they are very interested in the success of their customers (and of course, their company).

The next year’s going to be very interesting.  What a great time to be in Education exploring these virtual worlds and the possibilities for our students.

Stan Trevena

Director, Information and Technology Services

Modesto City Schools

http://pacificrimx.wordpress.com