[SLED] vegas

Ed Lamoureux ell at bumail.bradley.edu
Tue Sep 4 17:07:29 PDT 2007

many US colleges don't allow alcohol on campus at events at which
undergraduates are present.
some US colleges sponsor on-campus pubs for students of legal age, to
keep them from going off campus toward accidents.
So a single generalization doesn't work here.
Heck, there are still some "dry" campuses in the US, faculty AND
students.

I'm not sure how many undergraduate students attended SLCC.. such
that this might not be an issue at a convention.
Further, one could "ticket" the events with booze in such a way as to
exclude underage students from those events.

I suspect this issue would not present much of a problem at most/many
US college convention oriented sites.

On Sep 4, 2007, at 6:10 PM, Emma Duke-Williams wrote:

> On 27/08/07, Larry Havenstein <lhavenst at oznet.ksu.edu> wrote:
>

>> Campus environments are often good for the connectivity parts of a
>> conference but have problems dealing with
>> the other parts of what SLCC did.   We are not setup for parties
>> like a hotel is.  Many campuses have issues
>> with alcohol on campus even.
>
> That must be US campuses! I can't see any UK, or, for that matter
> European campuses having issues with alcohol on campus! (Perhaps the
> difference with having most students above the legal drinking age in
> most of Europe - "most"- as I know that in Scotland, some students are
> 17, but legal drinking age = 18)
>
> Emma

Edward Lee Lamoureux, Ph. D.
Associate Professor, Multimedia Program