[SLED] SLmovie troubles

Kahler, Scott skahle14 at mercyhurst.edu
Sun Oct 21 15:01:33 PDT 2007

Are most of you recording your audio separately for narration? Or are you recording conversations with remote avatars?

I just did some research on this for my movies I have recently made. One is with sound and one is without.
without sound'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS0ltLer3sE
with sound'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbUw0hBvRdQ

To Record I use FRAPS. I have found this to be a standard in for movies. Then, I use movie maker to clip and edit the film. However, I have found an open source soultion for the .mov format. I did not find an editor for it. The name of that screen capture program is called KRUT and a review is found at http://www.freewaregenius.com/2007/04/13/krut-computer-recorder/. Lastly, SL has a native recorder but it does not record sound. Both Kurt and FRAPS will record sound as you record the video. Then you can simply set your recording properties to mix out. The Wave mix out will record all sounds the PC produces. Both programs will also give a more compress format. KURT is a .mov and FRAPS is .avi

"I capture at 800X600 but sizing is up for debate."
The smaller the window the better the frame rate. Which makes for smoother movements of avatars. However, if you don't remove the UI in the smallest size it takes up too much of the window. For SL the smallest window is 320 X 240. Recording in this small of a format also gives the recorder the ablity to multi-task just a little. For example, they could play a song, sound, they can't stream.

Removing the UI is something I am still struggling with ... does anyone know how :)