[SLED] helping speed up Quicktime streaming ...

Blair MacIntyre blair at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Oct 10 16:15:53 PDT 2007

Hi,

I assume a lot of you stream quicktime video into SL, I'm wondering
if anyone has had any luck decreasing the delay between sender and
receiver.  Using a fairly straightforward setup using Quicktime
Broadcaster and a Quicktime Streaming Server, I am getting a latency
from capture in a video camera to display in Second Life of about 10
seconds, typically;  I've managed to get it down to 6 or 7 seconds
fiddling around.   And this is for machines on the same network.

I know that lower latency is possible, but I can't figure out how.  I
bought an Elgato Turbo H.264 in the hopes it would speed up encoding,
but it doesn't appear to work with Quicktime Broadcaster.

I've also tried to use Wirecast (which I own for other reasons) and
it didn't help either (which seems obvious, since it's using all the
same software internally).

For us, this is a significant problem because we're doing augmented
reality, where the video in SL is displaying a mixture of the real
world and the SL space the avatars are standing it.  I want to create
some interactive exhibits where people in the real and virtual worlds
can see themselves together in a physical space.   Now, when an
avatar moves, it's 8-10 seconds before they see their avatar move in
the real world.  A latency of 1-2 seconds would be more tolerable
(although still not great, but I understand that Quicktime streaming
will not reach video conferencing speeds).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
   blair