[SLED] Building, managing different issues for teaching in SL

Fire in Korea fire at eslteacherlink.co.kr
Wed Oct 3 20:53:20 PDT 2007

When I first started SL about a year ago, despite having a Computing Science
background, I felt a little bit the same way when I first saw windows 3.1 -
.... where do I start....

So, what I did was attend a short building class.  After that, I sorta put
the pieces together myself and mostly learned by purchasing a building, and
then seeing if I could replace all of the prims it was made of with my
own... this was a really useful way, and helped me gain much insite...

I also did a search on Youtube, and found some great tutorials there...
after few months of this, Its hard to remember how difficult it was...
yet... I still have a lot to learn when it comes to sculpties and other
building tricks...

One of the major breakthroughs i had, was when a party of people were coming
to my island in 6 hours, and I relized I had to remake the building I bought
- I was forced under a deadline to make ... something

This added stress really pushed me forward... hehe  .. and also resulted in
a 12 story multi classroom structure!
Amazing what you can do when under a gun!

On 10/4/07, Eloise Pasteur <eloisepasteur at gmail.com> wrote:

> You can be taught to upload PP slides and use a viewer in a few minutes.
> Desi used to run classes on it in fact, with large groups doing just that in
> under an hour in SL classes. Videos ditto, although to do video well, with
> hinted streaming and a streaming server can be harder. But grabbing
> something from youTube, getting permission, converting it and running from
> there... well a student was taught how by, converted 3 videos and had them
> streaming in world within 45 minutes last week in a class I was helping.
> If you can cope with an FTP programme, and PP, you can do these.
>
> Building... depends on what you want. It's a horribly vague term. If you
> want to be able to rez a prim to apply a texture to for a sign, a few
> minutes. If you want to be able to build and texture, say, a pharmacist's
> shop, you'd probably be looking at several hours of building learning and/or
> practice, plus being able to use SL, plus for the texturing again, several
> hours to 10's of hours to learn your way around something like Photoshop and
> develop the textures. If you wish to add scultpies to the mix, well
> scultpypaint is the easiest tool for that I've seen, and took me about 30
> minutes to work out my around, but I'd say I'm still learning how to use it
> after several hours of playing with to practice making sculpties.
>
> If you want to add scripting to this, well I teach a rudiments of
> scripting class in about 9 hours. Going on beyond that can be tricky though,
> unless you're that way inclined.
>
> El.
>

> On 4 Oct 2007, at 01:12, Mark Schmitz wrote:
>
> Good question Alicia, I was wondering the same thing.
>
> On 10/3/07, Alicia Barbitta - FOCUS - INGLES EMPRESARIAL <
> alicia.barbitta at focus.edu.uy> wrote:
> >
> >  Hi all,
> >
> > Could anybody name what ability or IT knowledge is needed for building
> > and managing different issues (inserting PP, videos,etc)  for developing
> > language classes in Second Life? or else if you are doing any of the sort in
> > SL how did you learn it? or what did you study previously? Could it be named
> > as a 'list'?
> >
> > Out of that list, which must be the 'basic' that any teacher should
> > manage in SL?
> >
> > Many thanks!
> > alicia

> http://educationaldesigns.eloisepasteur.net/