[SLED] Second Life dyslexia

Eloise Pasteur eloisepasteur at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 06:29:22 PDT 2007

I guess google was feeling perverse and spam filtered the original
message, thanks for repeating it Gavin, as well as splashing my name
on it!

Christine,

I should point out that I'm hard of hearing and don't use voice. All
my comments refer to SL and text chat rather than voice.

Of course it's impossible to say SL helps (or hinders) all dyslexic
people, but I've worked closely with several in SL, and am supporting
someone who is dyslexic in SL for both SL and RL learning.

For those 50% of dyslexic learners who also have Irlen-Myers syndrome
(or SSS if you prefer), and find a benefit from coloured filters etc.
the ability in preferences to change text colour seems to help a lot.
If only we could apply it to the IMs too.

Many dyslexic learners carry their fears about bad spelling with
them, and these need to be allayed, but in most groups, whether
learners or not, spelling is often not great, which helps them relax.
It does, however, make their disability rather more visible than it
otherwise is, which can be an issue.

In terms of receiving information, I've found every dyslexic learner
I've worked with finds, often to their surprise, that text works
really well. They don't bother about taking notes, they know that's
being done for them, and they actually read what's being said. The
teacher breaks stuff down into smaller chunks and uses shorter words
most of the time, which helps as well - when they do use jargon words
the dyslexic learner gets to see them correctly spelt without having
to ask for it, another boon. (I have a RL anecdote about being taught
about blood clotting by someone with a really thick Irish accent.
"Trombin" rather than "Thrombin" appeared in a lot of people's
notes.) I always attribute this to the fact that, actually, when
learning students routinely listen and write. Whilst dyslexic
learners may or may not cope with the listening element well, they
also struggle with the writing element compared to non-dyslexic
learners. SL frees them from that, and they get time to read and
comprehend short utterances, which enables them to engage in the
class more fully.

Depending on your class, you may find also, I certainly have, that
the 3D visual nature of SL works really well with your dyslexic
learners. Classes where they build, explore etc. can often free the
dyslexic learner in a way that is uncommon in a RL classroom. I was
always sceptical of the drive from architecture firms to hire
dyslexic people to design buildings, but about half the dyslexic
learners I know take to building in SL like ducks to water and
rapidly become very skillful in a variety of different modes of
building and sculpture. The fact it's all free, and changes can be
made very quickly seems to help, whereas expressing yourself in
massive 3D structures IRL is both expensive and very time consuming.

Hope this helps.

El.

http://educationaldesigns.eloisepasteur.net/
http://eloisepasteur.net/blog/