[SLED] In defence of fantasy

Steven Hornik shornik at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 30 06:36:09 PST 2007

At yesterday's Metavers Meetup#2, Jamais Cascio discussed the Metaverse Roadmap and other virtual ideas (virtual worlds, mirror worlds, augmented reality, and gosh one other that I can't remember), but all virtual.  It was a great talk and I'd recommend meetup#3 for all sometime in January, the video for this one is supposed to be posted on the web.  But back to the point, Jamais and I think most of us on this list would agree suggested that rather then being isolating all these types of "virtual" technologies are enabling relationships and sometimes relationships at a much more deeper level then so-called RL one's.

To my thinking (uninformed as it is), the problem stems with the connotations that most place on the word virtual - thinking it means unreal, when instead is should conjure (for the next decade or two, anyway) intangible - we can't touch/feel/smell etc. the virtual, but if our minds our processing the neuronal activity in the same way as if we were touching/feeling/smelling (and I'd place a hefty bet that it is) they are in fact very real.

Just my 2Cents

  Dr. Steven Hornik
University of Central Florida
Dixon School of Accounting