[SLED] Wanted: people to be interviewed by my students about information behaviour

Sheila webber S.Webber at sheffield.ac.uk
Tue Nov 20 16:16:30 PST 2007

Hi

I'm seeking people who are willing to be interviewed within Second Life by my
first year undergrad (18-19 years old) students. They will be asking you to
recall a time when you needed information to undertake an activity in Second
Life, and then asking you some questions about how/where you found the
information.

This is part of a core class called "Information Literacy" on our BSc
Information Management. I'm hoping that you might be able to identify some of
your own students willing to be interviewed in SL, as well people volunteering
themselves.

I have 20 students and ideally they would each interview 2 people. The
"activity" you choose to talk about could be a project or assignment or it
could be searching for information on the best places to get a new freebie skin
... basically any situation where you had to hunt around for information a
little before you could do some SL thing. Interviewees will receive L$250 as a
thank-you for participating.

We are in the UK (University of Sheffield) and they are mostly UK students (I'm
a faculty member in the Department of Information Studies). Despite time zone
differences, they were attracted by the idea of encountering people outside the
UK and students anywhere.

The goal is for the students to collect data which they can analyse to compare
with existing models etc. relating to RL information behaviour (for an
assignment) and also to develop their inquiry and communication skills. They
have had RL and SL practice sessions in interviewing (based on our island,
_Infolit iSchool_).

Thanks for reading this and I hope you are able to help

Sheila (Sheila Yoshikawa inworld)

--
Sheila Webber
Senior Lecturer, Department of Information Studies, University of Sheffield,
s.webber at sheffield.ac.uk
The information literacy weblog - http://information-literacy.blogspot.com/