[SLED] At a cross-roads

Kim FLINTOFF kimbo2 at iinet.net.au
Sat Mar 24 16:39:38 PDT 2007

That certainly seems to be an odd approach to teaching and learning – is
there some other agenda to the university?  I cannot believe they think that
it is OK to dictate what you may or may not speak about.

I regularly tell my students they should kick up and take their concerns to
higher levels of administration.  If they ask to whom and how, I’ll also
tell them that.

I’m not sure if this relates but this site seems to express a broad range of
concerns about a university..  http://www.capellauniversity.org/

I’ve discussed a similar situation in recent months here on the list.
Although I wasn’t challenged with academic gags.

The upshot of their stance is that it becomes self-fulfilling
 if they
refuse to engage with SL its worth cannot be demonstrated, thereby
maintaining the status quo.

I’m afraid I’d probably decide to ignore their ban and talk more and more
about SL and point out to my students that of course here at XXXXXXX
University we can’t engage in any practical exploration – unlike the
students at:

Aarhus Business College: Aarhus, Denmark

Anglia Ruskin University at Cambridge and Chelmsford, UK

Arcada University of Technology: Helsingfors, Finland

The Art Institute of California-San Diego San Diego, CA

The Art Institute of Pittsburgh Pittsburgh, PA

Audiocourses Music Production School: London, United Kingdom

Australian Film TV and Radio School: Sydney, Australia

Ball State University: Muncie, IN

The Bay School of San Francisco: San Francisco, CA

Beach College: Santa Barbara, CA

Bentley College - Department of Natural and Applied Sciences: Waltham, MA

Bradley University, Peoria, IL-- Multimedia Program via NMC and Library on
Info Island

Bromley College of Further and Higher Education: Greater London, United
Kingdom

Buena Vista University Storm Lake, IA

California State University - Pomona: Pomona, CA

Central Missouri State University: Warrensburg, Missouri

Central Piedmont Community College - Futures Institute: Charlotte, North
Carolina

Colorado Mountain College: Glendwood Springs, CO

Columbia University: New York, NY

Dyersburg State Community College: Dyersburg, TN

Elon University: Elon, NC

Finger Lakes Community College: Canandaigua, NY

Fullerton College: Fullerton, CA

Gerald D. Hines College of Architecture University of Houston: Houston, TX

Harvard University: Cambridge, Mass.

Idaho State University: Pocatello, Idaho.

Illinois State University: Normal, IL

Indiana University: Bloomington, IN

Insead

Institut Ingemedia: Toulon, France

Johnson & Wales University: Providence, RI & 5 Western States

Kalamazoo Valley Community College: Kalamazoo, MI

Leeds College of Art and Design: West Yorkshire, United Kingdom

Leeds Metropolitan University: West Yorkshire, United Kingdom

Lehigh Carbon Community College: Schnecksville, PA

Loyalist College: Belleville, ON, Canada

Mayville State University: Mayville, ND

Minneapolis College of Art and Design: Minneapolis, MN

Minnesota State Colleges and Universities:

Monroe College: Bronx, New York

Montana State University: Bozeman, Montana

Murray State University: In RL | In SL

Nanyang Polytechnic: Singapore

Nelson Marlborough Institute of Technology: Nelson, New Zealand

New York University - McGhee Division: New York, NY

Newcastle University Newcastle upon Tyne, UK

Northern Illinois University: DeKalb, IL

Ohio University: Athens, OH

Ohio University Second Life Campus Video

Ohio State University: Columbus, OH

Oklahoma City University: Oklahoma City, OK

The Open University: Milton Keynes, UK

Oregon State University: Corvallis, OR

Otis College of Art and Design Los Angeles, CA

Pellissippi State Technical Community College: Knoxville, TN

Pennsylvania State University: (Various towns), PA

Pepperdine Universtiy: Malibu, CA

Platt (Media Arts) College San Diego: San Diego, CA

LEARN [3D Animation • Digital Video Production • Graphic Design • Web
Design] San Diego State University: San Diego, Calif.

San Francisco State University: San Francisco, CA

Savannah College of Art & Design: Savannah, GA; Atlanta, GA; Lacoste, France

Seton Hall University: South Orange, NJ

Sheffield Hallam University: Sheffield, UK

Sogang University: Seoul, Korea

Stanford University: Palo Alto, CA

St. Thomas University: Miami Gardens, FL

SUNY Empire State College: Saratoga Springs, NY

Temple University: Philadelphia, PA

Texas State University: San Marcos, Texas

The Bay School of San Francisco: San Francisco, CA

Thomas Jefferson University: Philadelphia, PA

Trinity University: San Antonio, Texas

University of Alaska Fairbanks Center for Distance Education Fairbanks,
Alaska

University of Bedfordshire Luton & Bedford, UK

University of California Berkeley

University of Cincinnati: Cincinnati, OH

University of Colorado at Denver Medical Center: Denver, CO

University of Connecticut: Hartford, CT

University of Derby: Derby, UK

University of Edinburgh: Edinburgh, Scotland, UK

University of Florida: Gainesville, FL

University of Massachusetts: North Dartmouth, MA

University of Minnesota, School of Physics and Astronomy: Minneapolis, MN

University of Missouri - Kansas City: Kansas City, Missouri

University of Nevada, Reno: Reno, NV

University of New Orleans New Orleans, Louisiana http://www.uno.edu

University of Paisley: Paisley, Scotland, UK

University of Portsmouth: Portsmouth, UK

University of Southern California: Los Angeles, CA

University of Southern Queensland: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia

University of Southern Denmark (Syddansk Universitet): Odense, Kolding,
Esbjerg, Sønderborg, Slagelse, København, DK

University of Surrey: Guildford, UK

University of Sydney: Sydney, Australia

University of Tennessee, College of Medicine: Knoxville, Tenn.

University of Texas at Dallas: Richardson, Texas

University of Texas Medical Branch: Galveston, Texas

University of Wales, Newport: Newport, Wales, UK

University of Washington: Seattle, WA

University School (k-12): Hunting Valley, OH

Vassar College: Poughkeepsie, NY

Virginia Tech: Blacksburg, Virginia

But of course
  there’s no reason for them to be concerned about this
disparity as XXXXXXXXX University elders have assured you that SL is just a
passing fad and offers no legitimate avenues for exploration.

Kim Flintoff B.A., Grad. Dip. Ed., M.Ed.
PhD Candidate
QUT Creative Industries: Performance Studies
Sessional Lecturer/Tutor
ECU School of Education and Arts: Contemporary Performance / Drama Education

  _____