[SLED] Carleton University TIM Students Research Surrounding Open Source and Virtual Spaces (Second Life)

Mekki MacAulay Abdelwahab mekki at mektek.ca
Sat Mar 24 13:40:28 PDT 2007

Hi,

I'm a Master's student at Carleton University in Ottawa, Ontario Canada,
in the Technology Innovation Management program.
(http://www.carleton.ca/tim/).  I've been very interested in everything
Second Life, and am doing research on several different aspects of its
potential, including for business, education and e-learning
environments, social interaction (cyberspace?), and open source ecosystems.

Our program is moving to the forefront of university research on Open
Source, including business models, motivations, ecosystems, value chain
evolution and extraction, disruptive innovation, and more.  We're also
looking at various research topics in adoption of the semantic web, Web
2.0 (3.0?), collaboration and interaction tools, knowledge transfers,
standards, intellectual property, human-computer interaction, virtual
simulation and modeling, and lots more.  Traditionally, our program has
had a telecommunications focus, but as the definition of
telecommunications broadens more and more, the scope of our research is
broadening as well, and many researchers (including myself) are more
interested in the potential of virtual spaces than the anals of telephony.

I look forward to participating in these mailing lists and discussing
research topics of interest with all you other enthusiasts.

Cheers,

Mekki

Mekki MacAulay
Masters Student