[SLED] New Laptop - SL Video Issues - Clearing UpSomeMisconceptions

Trevena, Stan Trevena.S at monet.k12.ca.us
Sun Jun 17 19:49:58 PDT 2007

The bulk of my disdain resides with Microsoft and Vista being released FAR TOO EARLY.

We are a Microsoft shop and have a lot of dealings with them and the user community through various forums.  Vista was far from ready for prime time when it was prematurely pushed out of the MS womb.  The BETA testers screamed that they were so late in delivering the BETA code, and then MS compressed the BETA timelines.  As was painfully obvious at release, not many hardware manufacturers were ready with new drivers.  So unless you were buying a new Vista ready machine, you were pretty much out of luck.  I have a shrink wrapped copy of Vista Ultimate sitting on the shelf above my computer unopened.  I am really not sure when it will be installed on my home system, but not anytime soon.  Far too many of the drivers are still either not available, or have been released in a handicapped state to get them out, with new versions promised in the near future.  It's pretty sad that Vista was delayed as long as it was, and it was still a fiasco when it was released. I am getting closer and closer to ripping it off my laptop and downgrading to XP.

Stan Trevena
http://pacificrimx.wordpress.com