[SLED] bite size survey

Cathy Arreguin cathy_arreguin at mac.com
Fri Jun 15 21:47:42 PDT 2007

In reference to Rolig's comment:
"BTW, has anyone noticed that most of the pro-voice comments on this
list have been (a) IT or Ed Tech folks and (b) male?"

I can't speak to the "male" perception, however, there are really
good reasons why EdTech folks may tend to favor voice integration.

One very good definition of Educational Technology is this:
"Educational technology is the application of research, learning
theory, emergent technologies, and child and adult psychology to
solving instructional and performance problems."  (http://
edtec.sdsu.edu/whatis.htm .... yes, I admit I'm biased.)

Based on that definition, ANY new technology then offers new
opportunities to meet unique needs of specific learner audiences.
It's not a case of using the new voice capability all the time, but
rather carefully discerning when that new tool might make learning
more effective.

 From a personal (and female) perspective, I don't know yet how much
I will use voice. I like the reflective aspect of pausing before
typing. I also have friends in SL who feel the same way.  What I have
discovered (that I haven't yet seen discussed) is concurrent voice/
chat use.  There have been times when I and a few others have used
Skype in SL. Each time, I notice that some conversations are spoken,
while other threads are typed.  I find that very interesting.

Cathy
(SL: Mari Asturias)

On Jun 15, 2007, at 3:15 PM, Allan Sturm wrote:

Cathy Arreguin, MA, Educational Technology
Instructor: SDSU, EDTEC700: 3D MultiUser Learning Environments
Instructional Technology * Educational Media * Virtual Instruction
cathy_arreguin at mac.com