[SLED] New Laptop - SL Video Issues

Jennifer Paloma palomitica29 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 15 18:34:33 PDT 2007

Oh my goodness.  I just ordered a new ThinkPad with Windows Vista.  It has already been shipped.  I want to cry.

  Jennifer

Sean FitzGerald <seanf at tig.com.au> wrote:
  Oh, it only get's worse. I didn't see this on the System requirements page:

NOTE: Second Life does NOT currently support Windows Vista

http://secondlife.com/corporate/sysreqs.php

Sean

Sean FitzGerald wrote:   Trevena, Stan wrote:
I read that SL runs fine on Vista, so I was not too worried with these specs.
Where did you read that, Stan? And can you sue? :-/

People have been having all sorts of problems with Vista - just Google "second life vista" and see the bad news.

In fact Phillip himself has said:
  "Something is broken on Vista and we'll figure it out. The challenge we have is rendering a world in 3D because historically only games have used 3D. What we are saying is SL is the next world wide web and so every computer has to do 3D perfectly. We are probably 18 months away from where every machine with Vista or Mac OS X should be able to run SL. I think we started a little bit early but the enthusiasm that people have about co-creating the world has sustained it. What is amazing is this is only the beginning of the 3D-web and SL."
Source: http://www.smh.com.au/news/web/next-life-for-second-life/2007/06/05/1180809522554.html

Also, I notice on the System Requirements page that your graphics card is mentioned here, not favourably unfortunately:
  The following cards have not been tested with Second Life, and compatibility is not certain:
   nVidia cards that report as Quadro
   ATI cards that report as RADEON IGP or RADEON XPRESS
   ATI cards that report as FireGL
   ATI cards that report as FireMV
I feel your pain... I haven't participated in the whole system requirements thread before, but my story is I bought a brand new laptop less than a year ago specifically to run SL and didn't realise how important the graphics card was. Brand new laptop worth a couple of thousand (Aussie) dollars... should work fine, no? Wrong! Turns out it the graphics cards was an Intel, and it runs like a dog, to the point I'm spending a lot less time in SL that I would otherwise. So I now have a computer that doesn't do the very thing I bought it for, and I'm faced with blowing another couple of thousand just to get SL working properly less than a year after my last purchase! :-(

I've learned a BIG lesson about doing my hardware research in future.

Sean

--     Sean FitzGerald  Tel: +61 (0)2 9360 3291  Mob: +61 (0)404 130 342  Skype: seamusy  Email: seanf at tig.com.au  Second Life: Sean McDunnough  Website: http://seanfitz.wikispaces.com/  Blog: http://seanfitzgerald.wordpress.com/  SL in Education: http://sleducation.wikispaces.com/  LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/seanfitzgerald    There is work that is work and there is play that is  play; there is play that is work and work that is play.  And in only one of these lie happiness.  -- Gelett Burgess

--     Sean FitzGerald  Tel: +61 (0)2 9360 3291  Mob: +61 (0)404 130 342  Skype: seamusy  Email: seanf at tig.com.au  Second Life: Sean McDunnough  Website: http://seanfitz.wikispaces.com/  Blog: http://seanfitzgerald.wordpress.com/  SL in Education: http://sleducation.wikispaces.com/  LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/seanfitzgerald    There is work that is work and there is play that is  play; there is play that is work and work that is play.  And in only one of these lie happiness.  -- Gelett Burgess

Visit Angela Orlando Rafferty's tribute at:
http://www.legacy.com/Link.asp?I=MT000020435963&Cobrand=LEGACY