SLeek for the vision impaired? (was: Re: [SLED] bite size survey)

Sean FitzGerald seanf at tig.com.au
Fri Jun 15 16:09:30 PDT 2007

For the vision impaired... perhaps the answer is SLeek -
http://delta.slinked.net/category/sleek/ - which is a graphics-free,
text-only, low-overhead client.

I'm wondering if anyone has a screen reader they can try with it... it
may work. It can't pick up info about the environment and the objects in
it of course, but it does tell you who is in chat range and lets you
chat and IM and TP and see profiles.

But the really neat thing about SLeek that leads me to think it may be
useful for the vision impaired (if screen readers work with it) is that
it has a "Follow" function that lets you nominate to hitch your av to
another av in range... a virtual version of a vision impaired person
holding the arm of a guide. It works quite well. Then the guide just has
to describe the environment. I'm not sure if SLeek wiil incorporate
voice, but this would make it easier still.

SLeek could also make for some interesting educational lessons as it
gives you a feel for what it must be like being blind.

Sean

Alex Heiphetz wrote:
> Not to beat a dead horse, but what about those who have vision
> problems - can make out general scenery, but have hell of a time
> reading small text - readers are not real good where they are
> available and I don't think they work in SL.
>
> Regards,
> AHG Hallard
>
> >Message: 33
> >Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 01:32:37 +0100
> >From: Eloise Pasteur
> >
> >You may not have seen it happen, I have. I came to SL shortly after
> >There introduced voice. The number of mute, deaf and hard of hearing
> >former therians who had, within a matter of days become largely
> >segregated, just as they are in RL and so removed themselves to
> >somewhere where they continued to blend in seamlessly - Second Life
> >approached 100% of those groups in There.

Sean FitzGerald
Tel: +61 (0)2 9360 3291
Mob: +61 (0)404 130 342
Skype: seamusy
Email: seanf at tig.com.au
Second Life: Sean McDunnough
Website: http://seanfitz.wikispaces.com/
Blog: http://seanfitzgerald.wordpress.com/
SL in Education: http://sleducation.wikispaces.com/
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/seanfitzgerald

There is work that is work and there is play that is
play; there is play that is work and work that is play.
And in only one of these lie happiness.
-- Gelett Burgess