[SLED] AvaTaR@School: Blackmail - first machinima video trailer

Radhika Gajjala radhika at cyberdiva.org
Fri Jul 27 13:33:19 PDT 2007

Nope.

I dont think the solution is a direct reversal.

In any case if it was a white kid who was the gang member he would be
distanced from the norm in some other way and signifiers of lack of
privilege of some sort would be attached.

I think both scenarios need to be played out one of that other
perhaps - and more scenarios of bullying need to be offered -

what does bullying mean - what about when a child gets bullied for
having "gay" characteristics - or what about when a young girl gets
bulled for wearing "non-feminine" shoes - I think all these need to
be unpacked.

The video - machinima or anything can NEVER be the only text in the
class - that is why such a text becomes problematic in a fully online
class.

I can find lots of uses for the video we are discussing - but I would
NOT use it online without contextualizing it in a variety of ways.

I would even replay some of our list discussions....

I would also discuss the percieved reality of Turkish gangs in this
scenario in relation to real stats and real news reports and
"reality" of how stories are reported. I would also talk about the
the Turkish bully as a child who grew up in a social context possibly
already biased against.

So shall we make that video again - or shall we make a series of
videos - or shall we stage a scenario in how we use the video(s) ?