[SLED] RE: Multi-tasking vs specific skills

K.Becker becker at minkhollow.ca
Sun Jan 28 16:38:58 PST 2007

Peter Reilly wrote:
> Thanks Katrin;
> Would the situation improve if  the teacher took 100% accountability
> for engaging students?
> Pete

I don't think that kind of accountability is ours to take. I'm convinced
that increasing our own sense of accountability helps but I am equally
convinced you will not be able to keep the attention of all of the
students all of the time - no matter how good you are. I bet even Martin
Luther King Jr. had people drifting off sometimes.

I've been teaching at university a long time and have taught classes
that range in size from 5 to 250. I've taught freshmen, grad students
and all the ones in between. I was a university student as a young
person and again as an 'old' one. There's a difference there too.

Someone recently asked me facetiously if, as a student, I expected my
professors to entertain me. This was after telling me they thought kids
should go to school to LEARN, not to have fun. This person is a teacher.
My answer was YES. That comes with a proviso though: if that is ALL they
did, I would feel very cheated.

Each party to this 'dance' - professor/teacher and student must do their
part. A skilled teacher can help to bring more students into it than an
unskilled or uncaring one, but if the student is not willing to meet you
part way, there is little you can do.

--
Katrin Becker
Ph.D. (ABD), Educational Technology;

This communication is intended only for the use of the recipient to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential, personal and/or privileged information. If the reader of this communication is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, do not copy, distribute, or take action relying on it. If you have received this communication in error, please delete or destroy it and notify the sender immediately by email at the address noted above. This email may not be forwarded or reproduced in any form without the written permission of the author.