[SLED] Re: Relocating projects

Birdie Newborn birdie.newborn at gmail.com
Sat Jan 27 13:11:26 PST 2007

Kir --

Thanks for responding. You ask:
I'd guess that for about four buildings and a village square we'd need at
least 5000 or 6000 m2. Any views on that from other participants?

I have to speak for myself. My first plot of 3300m (triangular) enabled a
bandshell and three buildings with a large open space. However, I got greedy
and pushed for more land, as my goal was ultimately to set up 7 or 8 houses
for specific language/culture areas, plus the usual liberal arts, possibly a
theater. A friend calls this "scope creep," and maybe it is. When I added a
soccer field, things started to look cramped.

My experience is that there is frequent turnover in properties, as people
get bored and move on. So increasing your allotment later is likely. And,
actually, moving wholesale to a new larger plot is relatively easy. Pick
flat land, and notice what kind of neighbors you might have.

Hey, if you get a budget, I'll sell you one or the other of my Mainland land
plots. If you need to watch your expenses, the Linden Land Auctions are the
cheapest way I've found, but it's competitive bidding.

The designer I mentioned built right up to a cliff edge, leaving little room
for outside movement. That's another approach.

On 1/27/07, Kirsten Reichelt <kirsten_reichelt at gmx.de> wrote:

> Birdie,
>
> good to hear that things on your end are going so well!
>
> My first proposal for the museum village has been received very favourably
> - even enthusiastically :-) - by my contact person at the university. I'm
> going to meet with him on Monday to talk about potential contents, as well
> as the organisation and the finances. Also, we are going to discuss the
> possibility of cooperating with other study courses.
>
> So while we have taken several steps ahead, I do not yet have definite
> facts such as student numbers or duration. My hopes are that the project
> will be there long-term so that future students and other interested persons
> can profit from what we have created and build up on it.
>
> The idea is to use several buildings as focal points for information on
> Old and Middle English language, history and culture - letting visitors walk
> around the village viewing the exhibits, and giving them the opportunity to
> interact with them.
>
> Regarding size - I still find it difficult to calculate how much space you
> need in SL without crowding too much. But I'd guess that for about four
> buildings and a village square we'd need at least 5000 or 6000 m2. Any views
> on that from other participants?
>
> I'll let you know the results of our meeting on Monday and hope that I'll
> have some good news as well as more facts to report then.
>
> Cheers
>
> Kirsten
>

> > Kirsten --
> >
> > My circumstances have changed. I bought an island. Tell me more about
> your
> > museum village project -- how big, how long you expect it to be there,
> > what
> > kind of structures, how many students.
> >
> > My goal is to create as much of a total college experience as possible,
> > including sports, wild places, shops, classes. The model in my mind is
> > create something like a small liberal arts college in New England --
> stone
> > buildings, open spaces, quiet natural surroundings, with an
> international
> > flavor.
> >
> > At this point, it looks like I'll be working with another educator who
> is
> > also a builder. We haven't discussed working arrangements yet. Since the
> > island doesn't exist yet (a few days, they say), no final decisions have
> > been made. I'd like to keep it open-ended, so that every class, every
> > student has the opportunity to contribute toward an exciting, creative
> > community.
> >
> > The other possibility for you is that I will be selling off two large
> > plots
> > of land, approximately 6000m and 10,000m., or pieces of them. I need to
> > recoup my costs, but it's all relatively flat land in a quiet
> > neighborhood.
> >
> > On 1/19/07, Kirsten Reichelt <kirsten_reichelt at gmx.de> wrote:

> [...]

....oooO...............
.....(....)................

If we are facing in the right direction,
all we have to do is keep on walking.

Birdie Newborn
SL: Birdie Newcomb
www.beachcollege.net