[SLED] Language teaching in SL?

Birdie Newborn birdie.newborn at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 02:27:52 PST 2007

Martin --

I'm glad you're looking in that direction. I've been a small college
publisher in the liberal arts and languages, recently semi-retired. Good
methods of teaching language in Second Life, as far as I know, must wait
until Linden Lab figures out how to rig a simple audio system for small
groups. Text-based materials can be done through notecards or Moodle.

I'm sure there are a lot of us who would be eager to learn of your progress.

On 2/12/07, Martin Nielsen <MNi at systime.dk> wrote:

>  Hello everyone
>

> Is there anyone here who could perhaps help me find some good examples of
> virtual language teaching in SL – if there are any?
>

> My real name is Martin Nielsen. In SL I'm Martyn McMahon. I represent a
> Danish publisher of educational material. We produce books, e-books and
> websites, primarily aimed at students at upper secondary level (I suppose
> that to Americans this would correspond to late high school or early college
> level).
>

> In the future, we expect our focus to be on interactive, multimedia
> materials, rather than traditional paper materials. We're looking to expand
> our business by setting ourselves up in SL, and so I'd be very interested in
> seeing some examples of how serious teaching is actually carried out
> in-world.
>

> We would like to set up some kind of place, where teachers, students and
> private learners can try out our products. Or maybe enter into a
> partnership, for instance with other educational publishers or with schools.
>

> We have some products that we believe might be internationally marketable
> - particularly, interactive systems for learning Chinese, Italian, French,
> German and advanced Math. All webbased products that are currently being
> reworked into English.
>

> Do any members of this list do actual teaching in SL? If so, could I
> visit/observe one of your classes? Or can you recommend something I should
> attend?
>

> By the way, I've been having some problems figuring out how the time zones
> work… (is SL time equal to "Eastern Time"?)… unfortunately it seems that
> it's night here in Denmark when most in-world classes take place.
>

> Anyway, I'd be very grateful for any replies.
>

> All the best
>
> Martin

....oooO...............

If we are facing in the right direction,
all we have to do is keep on walking.

Birdie Newborn
SL: Birdie Newcomb on Belle Isle
www.beachcollege.net