[SLED] Just out! ... Learning in Immersive Worlds: a review of game based learning report

Bill Freese iedbf at montana.edu
Fri Feb 16 07:24:53 PST 2007

Daniel,
Why not, indeed? One can easily imagine an exercise in which students
mentally immerse themselves into an imaginary world by closing their
eyes and constructing together a mental picture of that world. Much
of what we see in Second Life is drawn from places imagined before
the computer was even dreamed of. As for "role play" a number of us
have chosen in Second Life to play ourselves. It is very easy to
picture a technologically based immersive situation in which no
actual role playing is taking place beyond the role playing that all
of us do in Real Life. If a discussion of immersive worlds is to be
restricted to three dimensional virtual environments, supported by
computers, in which participants adopt roles other than their own
lives, it would be best to state that definition clearly up front,
because many other possibilities exist. If such a definition has not
been stated, I don't think it can be assumed.
Bill Freese / Bill Friis